Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chickpeas and Chard

I had a big bunch of chard in the fridge that was rapidly aging and giving me guilt whenever I opened the refrigerator door. What to do with it? Why did I buy it?

When I couldn't take it any longer I found this recipe in Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen. I slightly simplified the recipe and loved the result.

1 tbl. olive oil
1 large onion, finely diced
pinch or 2 of saffron
2 garlic cloves
salt and pepper
1 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup parsley leaves
1/2 tsp. ground cumin or more to taste
2 tsp. tomato paste
14 chard leaves (or whatever you have) with stems
2 15 0z. cans chickpeas, preferably organic, with liquid, or 3 cups home-cooked

1. Heat the oil in a wide skillet. Add the onion and saffron. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 12-15 mins. Meanwhile, pound the garlic with 1/2 tsp. salt, cilantro, parsley and cumin to make a rtough paste. When the onions are golden and soft, add the paste to the pan along with the tomato paste and work all into the onions.

2. Slice the chard leaves off their stems. Put them in a wide pot with 2 cups of water and cook, covered, until wilted and tender, about 5 minutes. Set leaves aside in a colander, reserving the cooking water.

3. Trim the chard stems, cut into fine dice and drop them into reserved chard water. Simmer until tender, about 10 minutes, then turn off heat.

4. Add the chickpeas to the onion with their liquid or 1 cup water or stock. Coarsely chop the chard and add it. Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the stems. Taste for salt and pepper.

Serves 4

Notes: I served this dish with brown basmati rice and a salad. Saffron wasn't available so I skipped it. I highly recommend Eden brand organic beans. I couldn't get the hang of turning the garlic, etc. into a paste so just cut everything up very finely.

The leftovers had a second life. The next day the rice, veggies and beans were turned into soup with the reserved cooking liquid and additional veggie broth.

No comments: