Monday, December 30, 2013

Dal Take 2- Chicken Lentil Soup

The Bangladeshi Red Lentils I made a few days ago (see previous post) were a hit but the amount made serves 4-5 people and there were only two of us at the table. With lots leftover the next day I had to be creative. Soup is often the answer and that idea worked beautifully.  I had to thin the lentils to make them more soupy so I heated two cups of chicken broth in a saucepan (used 2 of those dry packets) and added chopped celery and carrots to the boiling broth. The lentils went into the saucepan next.  When all was heated I added more of the leftover roast chicken and some cooked rice and simmered all. The result was a delicious, warming chicken lentil soup. 

I toasted whole grain bread slices to go with the soup and made a mixed green salad. The simple meal of repurposed leftovers was a terrific quick winter supper.

No comments: