Thursday, March 12, 2009

Asparagus Salad With Sweet Balsamic Vinegar

I look forward each year to buying locally grown asparagus at the farmer's market.  But it will be months before those lovely green stalks make an appearance at my Brooklyn market.  I couldn't wait any longer.  When asparagus went on sale at my supermarket this week, I bought a few pounds to make this unusual and delectable salad.  The recipe comes from Bon Appetit (October 1997).

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tbl. olive oil
1 tbl. Dijon mustard
1 tbl. chopped fresh marjoram or 1 tsp. dried
1 tsp. minced garlic

2 pounds asparagus, tough ends trimmed, cut on diagonal into 2 inch pieces
1 small red bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Boil vinegar in heavy small saucepan over medium heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Pour vinegar into large bowl.  Whisk in oil, mustard, marjoram and garlic.  Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.

Cook asparagus in a large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again.  Add asparagus and bell pepper to dressing; toss to blend well.  Sprinkle with pecans and serve.
Serves 4

Notes: The dressing is versatile and works well with other cooked vegetables such as carrots or zucchini.  The asparagus can be trimmed but left whole.  I did not have marjoram so I substituted fresh chives.  I doubled the amount of Dijon mustard since I love a mustardy flavor. Pine nuts would also taste great in place of the pecans.  Actually, the salad is delicious if you omit the nuts altogether.


No comments: