Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Grandma Keller's Persimmon Pudding

It's time to take a break from the stresses of locating quick and delicious recipes for Penny and change gears completely. I received this recipe from Steve.  He grew up in the south and persimmon pudding was a treasured family treat.  What is especially amazing about receiving a recipe from Steve is that in the 35 years that I've know him, the only food I have seen him prepare is coffee. I have also seen him cutting slices of cake in the kitchen. That is it.  

It is difficult to get persimmons in NY now but I will definitely try this in the fall. Here is the whole message from Steve:

"In honor of your new blog I'm sending you Grandma Keller's secret recipe for persimmon pudding.  One of the two foods of memory when visiting her over summer holidays.  The other was her homemade ice cream. Haven't had it since but my sister has tried the recipe recently with good results.  I'm sure you can find persimmons in NY somewhere.  Grandma had her own persimmon tree."

2 cups fresh persimmon pulp
Beat in
3 eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 to 1 1/2 cups flour ( 1 1/2 cups if very juicy)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup melted butter
2 1/2 cups milk
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger

Bake in a greased 9x9 inch dish @ 325 for 1 hour until firm.
Serve with whipped cream 

Can you imagine having a persimmon tree in your backyard? 

No comments: