Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Best Banana Bread Ever

I just got home tonight and couldn't help but notice that bunch of bananas I bought a few days ago.  Their freckles are increasing at an alarming rate.  They are practically calling out to me "Turn me into banana bread."  I know what I have to do.  Tomorrow morning I will make the easiest, most delicious banana bread using a recipe I clipped from a magazine years ago.  It begins "I've tasted I don't know how many people's favorite recipe for banana bread, but none beats this one."

If you have a banana bread recipe that you think is better, please post it in the comments section.  We can have a bake off.

3 ripe or overripe bananas (4 if small)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Mash bananas with a fork.  Stir in other ingredients.  Pour into a non-stick or buttered 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inch loaf pan.  Bake 1 hour.  Cool on rack and remove from pan when cooled.

Notes: Chopped walnuts, golden raisins or chocolate chips are delicious additions.
Recently I was getting ready to take a cholesterol test and wanted to pass it so I substituted vegetable oil for the melted butter in the recipe. It isn't quite as good as the butter but is an acceptable substitution.   

No comments: