Friday, March 6, 2009

In Praise of Oatmeal

For a long time my breakfast of choice was yogurt and fresh fruit.  But one day as I was about to pull the yogurt out of the fridge I thought "Enough already- it's time for a change."  So I began experimenting with oatmeal.  Attracted to the handsome metal canister that McCann's Irish Oatmeal comes in, I tried that.  It was a big production, taking over 30 minutes to cook. It tasted authentically Irish but would never do for a weekday breakfast.  I switched to Quaker quick cooking (not instant) oatmeal in the almost as handsome cardboard canister.  It cooks in 5 minutes in the microwave and with a little jazzing up is quite tasty.  I've even started fixing oatmeal for Henry and it's as easy to make for two people as for one. This is an inexpensive, filling and good breakfast which can also help reduce your cholesterol.   I'm not suggesting, however, that you give up toasted bagels, muffins, scones or croissants.  Just give humble oatmeal a try.
Here's the basic recipe for 2 people:

In a deep glass bowl (such as a salad bowl), put 1 cup of oatmeal and 2 cups of water. Microwave at high for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir.

Divide into 2 bowls, add milk and sugar to taste and serve.

Some variations- Before cooking, add raisins or other dried fruit (chopped, if in large pieces) or fresh apples or firm pears, chopped.  For sweetener instead of sugar, use maple syrup, honey, maple sugar, brown sugar or jam.  Sprinkle some cinnamon, nutmeg or spice of your choice on the cooked oatmeal. 

Note: I tried the store brand oatmeal when Associated was out of Quaker and it tasted exactly the same to me. So now I save even more. 

 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love it!! Since I cant have flour I often have Oatmeal with brown sugar and if I dont have brown sugar I put in blueberries..healthy and delicious my breakfast du jour!