Sunday, March 8, 2009

Dried Figs in Red Wine

I know that this dish has limited appeal.  The second in my series of virtuous recipes, it used up a package of (very) dried figs I had in the cupboard for a year.  Either they had to be tossed or I needed to do something radical with them. I chose radical and found a suitable recipe in Vegetarian Cooking For Everyone by Deborah Madison.  My friend Deb was staying with us in Brooklyn for the night, found the figs in the fridge and gave them a try.  Her verdict: "These are delicious and elegant".  Since Deb is a terrific cook, that is quite a compliment.  Henry, however, tried the figs once, and never again.

12 ounces dried figs (Ms. Madison called for mission figs but I used what I had)
1 1/2 cups red wine, such as Merlot or Cabernet
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey
3 large strips lemon zest
4 cloves
1/2 tsp. anise seeds

Cut the knotty stems off the figs.  If they are very hard, cover them with warm water and let stand until they are soft, 30 minutes to an hour, then drain.  Put them in a saucepan with the remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil, then simmer, partially covered, until the figs are tender, about 30 minutes.  Remove the figs to a dish with a slotted spoon, then simmer the liquid for several minutes until it's syrupy.  Pour the syrup back over the figs and chill before serving. 

Serves 4 to 6

Note: Deb and I both love these with a dollop of Greek style yogurt. 

No comments: